Session One

I had my first meeting with the diagnostic team this week. The kids were in school so my wife and I drove the hour down to the BRAINS Foundation in Grand Rapids together. The office was in the building at the back of a professional park. The building had a craftsman style exterior, but a sort of wood-panel art deco interior. It felt expensive inside, confirmed by the rate sheet the receptionist handed me. Glad I have good insurance.

The thing about going to mental health facilities is you never know what kind of crazy is inside. In the few I’ve been to, I can’t help look around and say I wonder what’s wrong with these people? (Though I should probably look in the mirror first.) Indeed, my wife went to find the bathroom and a woman talked her ear off while they were waiting in line. We were directed to a narrow staircase and I kept flashing on the hospital scene from Jacob’s Ladder: going down, down, down. In a Kafkaesque moment, an institutional metal fire door opened to what felt like a hotel lobby with another waiting area. After a few minutes, my doctor found me in the waiting area and led me to her spacious office.

The doctor turned out to be the smart/warm/receptive type. She began to take a history. She asked me “What seems to be getting you caught up?” and I let fly. I’ve had lots of practice in the therapy game, so I did the stream-of-consciousness download for her. I was eager to talk, probably too eager, and at times started to give too-complicated answers.

She asked me if I had migranes or headaches, for example, and I said something like,

Well, yes and no. I used to. Sometimes I would get, I would call it the “perfect storm” headache, you know, a combination of neck strain and sinus pressure and yeah, I would have that can’t-stand-light kind of headache, but I haven’t been getting them since I started doing yoga, even though I don’t do that too regularly I do try to do yoga at least once a week (I take a class) and since then, yes I do get headaches, but not bad ones because yoga has fixed my neck strain, which was due to my bad posture because of the way my back is put together.

Probably something like “I used to, but not since I started yoga” would have sufficed. The doctor was kind, however, and let me talk. She asked good questions too, for example, about the difficulty I have managing finances and the pressure being, for the most part, the sole income earner for the family. She also asked about what sort of consequences I had experienced from having trouble with work in the past.

She asked me about medication, and I said, “Load me up!” I had taken antidepressants for several years to good effect. The problems that continue pale in comparison to the bad old days of a decade ago.

So what we set up was the possibility that I have ADD (she used the old term) and that in two weeks I would return for two and a half hours of testing, as she said, “to figure out what’s going on in the way your brain processes things that will help us decide if you do have ADD.” Two more weeks of waiting for my tests, and then another follow-up appointment to figure out where to go next.

Back in the car, my wife was happy to hear that the doctor thought the B-12 and krill oil supplements were a good idea (because they were her idea). I felt relieved that the appointment was over and that it went well and we went for a great lunch at a Chinese restaurant we used to go to when we lived down in GR. Awesome rangoons!

Later that night, after dinner, we were talking about the day again and my attention started to drift and some worry surfaced. My wife, used to the drill, asked, “what’s the matter?”

“I’m worried that I was supposed to pay the co-pay on the way out. I mean, no one said anything about it.” The doctor said I could set my final follow-up appointment on the way out, but I got a bad vibe from the upstairs desk and there was a line of people and I just wanted some air so we left.

“No, they always have to work out the insurance,” she said. I didn’t look relieved. “What are you worried about?”

I smiled at my foolishness. “I want to make a good impression. You know, be a good patient?”

She laughed. “You went to the looney bin today, and you’re worried about your manners?”

3 thoughts on “Session One

  1. Pingback: Testing day. Holy PHQ. | Attention Deficit Whatever

  2. Pingback: Clean Energy | Attention Deficit Whatever

  3. Pingback: Diagnosis II: Eeyore gets groceries | Attention Deficit Whatever

Comments! I love comments!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s